Saturday, July 18, 2015

DIY Natural Hair Straw Set!


Hey Guys!
I noticed my hair is getting quite long in the top so I wanted to try something old school but very modern in style.


I literally grabbed a hand full of drinking straws and cut them in various lengths and my largest Bobby pins to secure each. I suggest cutting straws a tad bit longer than the hair is to allow curls to dry in a stretched formation. We don't want to encourage shrinkage!

The crown of my head has been professionally lighten to a blonde hue. This has loosened my curl pattern along with the length it will lay straight but as I grab small patches of hair, I spiral the straws up from end to root. As I secure the straw with my Bobby Pin, I also position the straw in the position I want the curl to dry. This step is very important to keep from having to over work the curls once dry. Overworking the hair leads to frizz and an unmanaged look better reserved for day three or four after the freshness of the original style is wearing.

Be sure to grab any limp hairs for they will be magnified once hair is dry and the remaining hair is curled evenly. Examine entire head to look for strays. It's okay to reposition previous spiraled straws while hair is damp to ensure evenness. Give the hair enough time to dry on its own ( for me 4-6 hours) or sit under a defused dryer to speed up the process. Once hair is dry, finger release curls for volume and style to your liking. Add finishing spray if needed. Enjoy!

Products Used:
Pureology Hydrate Shampoo
Pureology Conditioner Hydrate
Cantu Leave in conditioner
Garnier Fructis Curl Construct with Nourishing Shea Level 3 Extra Strong Hold
Straws
Scissors
Long Bobby Pins
WATCH ME!






1 comment:

  1. If you like the Garnier mousse, you'd probably love their curl construct spray gel. It gives a soft shiny hold that I love!

    ReplyDelete